Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mercy sakes alive

I'm back from vacation, suburned and broke! I had a nice break and I hope everyone had a nice 4th of July.

On June 30th, the family left Fairhaven and drove to Weston, WV. My son was there for a fire fighter academy and this was probably the longest one-day drive we had taken since my mom drove my brother and I to Disney World in 1972. We drove 13 hours through Massachusetts, Rhode Island, good ole 95 south in Connecticut, NY, New Jersey, Pennsylvannia (that's a WIDE state!) Maryland and then West Virginia. It gave me a whole new appreciation for truckers. My wife and I took turns driving, switching about every 2 hours and I cannot imagine what it must be like to drive cross-country like this every day or every few days as an occupation. Stopping at a couple of truck stops I discovered that these folks truly are a family and as you look at all the different merchandise they are hauling, they truly do keep this country moving. I salute ya!

No comments: