Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thanks for being the spoiler!!!

We had a story this morning about whether otr not news agencies should be banned from announcing the results of the Olympics until NBC airs the story on their nightly coverage. I don't see how you can!

Yesterday was a big day at the Olympics with Lindsay Vonn skiing and winning the gold medal. (Oooops! Sorry if you had taped it and I just ruined it.) The results were out by mid afternoon, but NBC wasn't going to broadcast the race until prime time. I read the results on twitter from a number of sources. The Boston Globe, the Herald, CNN. Some people were upset, I was not, but I do think we could be more careful.

On the NBC Evening News they show the results with some text while they play music and Brian Williams tells viewers to turn away. I think that's great and I think other media should do the same. On the radio we should give a warning so people can turn the radio down if they don't want to know. Websites can offer a link. "Click here to know more."

News is news and should be reported as it happens. We have a right to not listen to it if we want, but we also have the right to get the info immediately if we want.

No comments: