Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger here, Tiger there, Tiger's EVERYWHERE!


Why are we so obsessed with the Tiger Woods story? I can hear it now....people saying "I'm not obsessed with the story, YOU ARE! I try not to. We honesty had a meeting this morning to decide if we were going to run the press conference live or just cover it in newscasts and sound bytes. We had to though. How can we call ourselves a "news station" if we don't cover one of the biggest news stories.

I tried to get away from it, but if you're a news junky like me, it couldn't be done this afternoon. I went on Twitter and there it was! Line-by-line coverage by the news correspondents I follow. I went on Facebook and my friends were talking about how crazy it was. I took off for the weekend to spend time with my daughter in Salem and there it was on the talk stations!

Some people say it's the medias fault. We MAKE it top story, we MAKE it the only thing discussed. However, I heard call after call after call from people commenting.

What is it about this story? The salaciousness of it? Do we rejoice in watching the rich falter? Is it just another case of our celebrity obsessed society?

One of my favorite postings of the day was from Mark Knoller of CBS News. He said: "We are a nation at war in a horrible financial situation and we devote live coverage to a golfer who cheated on his wife." Amen.

No comments: