Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Check it closely

We got a bill the other day from a hospital in Vermont. I don't know if I mentioned it here, but back in August my wife broke her finger while we were on a camping trip in Vermont. We had the dog with us and he knocked her down in his excitement one day and she broke her finger. So, we went off to the local hospital, had them bill us for the co-pay and then went on our way. Well what to my wondering eyes should appear....but a bill for $60! We have a co-pay of $50 for an ER visit, so I paid them $50 and explained about the co-pay. A few weeks went by and they billed me for $10. When we called to ask about this, we were told it was $50 for the ER and $10 for a doctor visit. Huh? We only went to one place. A little "double-dipping" here?
It's funny. If you mention that word, they get all serious with you.

I'm happy to report that once we called the insurance company and explained, we were told not to worry. They would call the hospital and take care of it and NO we did not have to pay twice for the same visit.

Read the bill carefully...adn then question. I wonder how many times people just pay without looking.

No comments: